UPMC Mercy was founded in 1847 by the Sisters of Mercy. Known as the Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh, it was the city's first hospital, and the first Mercy Hospital in the world. On January 1, 2008, the institution merged with UPMC and was renamed UPMC Mercy. Today, with 535 acute care beds, Mercy is the region's largest faith-based acute-care academic and research hospital.
UPMC Mercy maintains its founders’ dedication to state-of-the-art, high-quality, compassionate care--a commitment typified by its progressive programs in emergency medicine, trauma and burn care, cardiovascular services, and the neurologic care. Mercy specializes in providing:
- Advanced treatment for strokes through its certified Primary Stroke Center
- Advanced cardiology, cardiovascular, and thoracic surgery services
- Trauma and burn services through its Level I Regional Resource Trauma Center and comprehensive Burn Center
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Obstetrics and gynecology, including maternal-fetal medicine and a Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Inpatient behavioral health services
Other services include emergency care, medical and surgical care, medical and surgical oncology, diabetes, wound services, and more. Convenient outpatient services are offered at UPMC Mercy’s outpatient centers in Brentwood and Green Tree.
UPMC Mercy’s Department of Emergency Medicine (DEM) treats nearly 60,000 patients a year through its main Emergency Department, its Extension pediatric and urgent care center, and its embedded 24-hour Evaluation and Referral Center (psychiatric ED). The DEM supports training in ultrasonography and emergency department management as an integral part of the resident's experience. These resources, combined with UPMC Mercy's tradition of excellence in medical education and research, create a rich and stimulating training environment for the emergency medicine resident.
In addition to the jointly-sponsored emergency medicine residency program, the hospital sponsors other graduate medical education programs and a diploma school of nursing, the Mercy Hospital School of Nursing.
For more information, visit UPMC Mercy's web site.