UPMC Shadyside had its beginnings in 1866 as Homeopathic Medical and Surgical Hospital and Dispensary in Downtown Pittsburgh. In 1896, the hospital pioneered the first X-ray in Western Pennsylvania. It was also among the first to use Joseph Lister’s antiseptic techniques for surgery.
The hospital moved to Shadyside in 1910. The present building was erected in 1972, and it became part of UPMC in 1997.
UPMC Shadyside is a 517-bed tertiary care hospital that offers primary medical care, physician and nursing education, and a broad range of specialties that include cardiology, oncology, orthopaedics, geriatrics, vascular medicine, endocrinology, and more.
UPMC Shadyside's medical staff includes nearly 1,000 primary care physicians and specialists, with offices at the hospital and throughout the community.
For more information, visit UPMC Shadyside's website.