The University of Pittsburgh / University of Pittsburgh Physicians Department of Emergency Medicine is committed to promoting academic enrichment and creating a supportive environment dedicated to diversity and inclusion for its faculty and trainees. Endorsement of a diverse and inclusive climate is critical to the success of our program and the UPMC network as it contributes to improvement of teaching and learning outcomes, facilitation of mentorship and leadership development, creation of high quality research, continuation of our vital community partnerships, and the ability to provide the most comprehensive health care. Our strategy in our shared mission is focused on collaborating with the School of Medicine, the Undergraduate and Graduate programs at University of Pittsburgh, community outreach programs, and national organizations to proactively recruit future leaders with exceptional promise from underrepresented backgrounds, including race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, nationality, and religious beliefs. Recognizing the importance of a shared mission dedicated to building a diverse community as a fundamental force will transform misconceptions into realistic perspectives, professional growth, and academic excellence. We realize the significance of our trainees and leaders reflecting the communities we serve in regards to patient care and service delivery, in order improve the disparities in access to healthcare and medical outcomes for underserved populations.
Our goal is dedicated to providing a more diverse and inclusive learning environment and workplace that values, respects, and cares for all its members, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds. We plan to pursue this goal in the following ways:
- Support of pipeline programs starting at the high school level with education, mentoring, and research opportunities through medical training
- Retention and increasing the number of underrepresented minority physicians as trainees and faculty to serve our growing diverse community
- Enhancement of the development and delivery of education and training to all trainees and faculty focused on building diversity awareness and sensitivity, improving cultural competencies, and fostering a welcoming, inclusive environment
- Promotion of diversity and inclusion as a shared community responsibility through collaboration and partnerships
- Cultivation of a diverse climate and an institutional culture that include all members of our community from the top of the leadership to the new trainees that respects individual differences and is conducive to the success of all trainees, faculty, and staff
- Advocating for equity, multiculturalism, academic growth, and professional development