Thank you for your interest in the University of Pittsburgh Emergency Medical Services Fellowship, which is offered through the Department of Emergency Medicine. Since 1990 our program has trained 23 EMS fellows, many of whom now serve in EMS, public service and academic leadership roles.
We offer a one-year program of hands-on experience, mentorship, and didactics that covers the breadth of clinical, operational, and administrative core content of the specialty of EMS. This ACGME accredited program prepares trainees to pass the American Board of Emergency Medicine subspecialty exam in EMS and to assume leadership roles in EMS. We offer diverse experiences to provide the practical knowledge to be successful in all areas of prehospital medicine and disaster preparedness.
Our program resources include:
- Nine faculty members who are Board Certified in Emergency Medical Services.
- The Department of Emergency Medicine and its Divisions of EMS and Research.
- The University of Pittsburgh Residency in Emergency Medicine.
- The City of Pittsburgh Department of Public Safety’s Bureaus of EMS, Fire, and Police.
- The Center for Emergency Medicine of Western Pennsylvania including:
- STAT MedEvac critical care transport service
- World renowned EMS provider education programs
- EMed Health, a pioneering community paramedicine program
- UPMC Prehospital Care, providing medical direction to over 40 ALS and 40 BLS EMS agencies.
- The UPMC Medical Communications Center, through which we provide online medical command to
- Ground and air EMS agencies, as well as 20 commercial airlines.
- Several Tactical EMS programs in Southwestern Pennsylvania, including the City of Pittsburgh.
If you are not familiar with Pittsburgh, we welcome you to get to know this vibrant city. Once known for its steel industry, Pittsburgh is now a hub of innovation in healthcare, education, and technology. It has been common for our residents and fellows to come to Pittsburgh for a great training experience and find a new place to call home. The cost of living and crime rates are low, there are big city amenities, including world-class sports teams and the arts, and we are close to a variety of outdoor activities including hiking, skiing, and white water rafting.
The enclosed materials provide additional information about our program. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.