Research is an integral component of the medical toxicology fellowship. By design, fellows are involved in research with mentorship from the faculty. Fellows will produce various publications and have an opportunity to build their CV. In addition to research publications, there are many other opportunities for publications including textbook chapters, review articles and on-line publications. Our faculty have a broad interest and expertise in multiple areas of research. Therefore, fellows can easily participate in research they find interesting. Plus, the Division of Medical Toxicology is supported by an extremely active research division within the Department of Emergency Medicine. This includes full access to large clinical databases, animal labs, and an applied physiology lab, among others. For more information, visit https://www.emergencymedicine.pitt.edu/research
Select recent publication list:
1. King AM, Danagoulian S, Lynch M, Menke N, Mu Y, Saul M, Abesamis M, Pizon AF. The effect of a medical toxicology inpatient service in an academic teritary care referral center. J Med Toxicol 2018. doi: 10.1007/s13181-018-0684-2
2. Benedict NJ, Wong A, Cassidy E, Lohr BR, Pizon AF, Smithburger PL, Falcione BA, Kirisci L, Kane-Gill SL. Predictors of resistant alcohol withdrawal (RAW): A retrospective case-control study. Drug Alcohol Depend 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2018.08.017
3. Barton DJ, Marino RT, Pizon AF. Multimodal analgesia in crotalid snakebite envenomation: A novel use of femoral nerve block. Am J Emerg Med 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2018.09.020.
4. Farrugia LA, Rhyee SH, Campleman SL, Judge B, Kao L, Pizon A, Porter L, Riederer AM, Wiegand T, Calello D, Wax PM, Brent J, Toxicology Investigators Consortium Case Registry Investigators. The toxicology investigators consortium case registry: The 2017 annual report. J Med Toxicol 2018; 14: 182-211. doi: 10.1007/s13181-018-0679-z.
5. Kao L, Pizon A. ACMT Fellowship Directors Committee. Medical toxicology fellowship training is available to applicants from many specialties. J Med Toxicol 2018; 14:177-178. doi: 10.1007/s13181-018-0664-6.
6. Pizon AF, Lynch MJ, Benedict NJ, Yanta JH, Frisch A, Menke NB, Swartzentruber GS, King AM, Abesamis MG, Kane-Gill SL. Adjunct ketamine use in the management of severe ethanol withdrawal. Crit Care Med 2018; 46: e768-e771. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000003204.
7. Farkas AN, Marcott N, Yanta JH, Pizon AF. Bicarbonate refractory QRS prolongation and left bundle-branch block following escitalopram and lamotrigine overdose: A case report and literature review of toxic left bundle-branch block. J Clin Pharm Ther 2018; 43: 717-722. doi: 10.1111/jcpt.12698.
8. Rose JJ, Nouraie M, Gauthier MC, Pizon AF, Saul MI, Donahoe MP, Gladwin MT. Clinical outcomes and mortality impact of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in patients with carbon monoxide poisoning. Crit Care Med 2018; 46: e649-e655. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000003135.
9. Liu L, Wheeler SE, Venkataramanan R, Rymer JA, Pizon AF, Lynch MJ, Tamama K. Newly emerging drugs of abuse and their detection methods. Am J Clin Path 2018; 149: 105-116.
10. Farkas AN, Scoccimarro A, Pizon AF. Methemoglobinemia due to antifreeze ingestion. N Engl J Med 2017; 377: 1993-1994.
11. Levine M, Beuhler MC, Pizon A, Cantrel FL, Spyres MB, LoVecchio F, Skolnik AB, Brooks DE. Assessing bleeding risk in patients with intentional overdoses of novel antiplatelet and anticoagulant medications. Ann Emerg Med 2017; Oct 9. Doi 10.1016/j.annemergemed.2017.08.046
12. Lopez Nunez OF, Pizon AF, Tamama K. Ricin poisoning after oral ingestion of castor beans: A case report and review of the literature and laboratory testing. J Emerg Med. 2017; Oct 4. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2017.08.023.
13. Farrugia LA, Rhyee SH, Calello DP, Campleman SL, Riederer AM, Malashock HR, Pizon A, Wiegand T, Wax PM, Brent J, Toxicology Investigators Consortium Case Registry Investigators. The toxicology investigators consortium registry: The 2016 experience. J Med Toxicol 2017; Aug 1. doi: 10.1007/s13181-017-0627-3.
14. Levine M, Stellpflug S, Pizon AF, Traub S, Vohra R, Wiegand T, Traub N, Tashman D, Desai S, Chang J, Nathwani D, Thomas S. Estimating the impact of adopting the revised United Kingdom acetaminophen treatment nomogram in the U.S. population. Clin Tox. 2017; 55: 569- 572.
15. Thomassan ED, Scharman E, Fechter-Leggett E, Bixler D, Ibrahim S, Duncan MA, Hsu J, Scott M, Wilson S, Haddy L, Pizon A, Burrer S, Wolkin A, Lewis L. Acute health effects after the Elk River chemical Spill, West Virginia, January 2014. Public Health Rep. 2017.
16. Gerrity RS, Pizon AF, King AM, Katz KD, Menke NB. A patient with alcoholic ketoacidosis and profound lactemia. J Emerg Med. 2016; 51: 447-449.
17. Nguyen MB, Pizon AF, Branas CC, Fabio A. Regional variation in pediatric medication exposure: Spatial analysis of poison center utilization in Western Pennsylvania. Clin Toxicol 2016: 54: 47-52.
18. Wong A, Benedict NJ, Lohr BR, Pizon AF, Kane-Gill SL. Management of benzodiazepine-resistant alcohol withdrawal across a healthcare system: Benzodiazepine dose-escalation with and without propofol. Drug Alcohol Depend 2015; 154: 47-52.
19. Yanta JH, Swartzentruber GS, Pizon AF, Beauchamp GA, Srivastava AK. Alcohol withdrawal syndrome: Improving outcomes through early identification and aggressive treatment strategies. Emerg Med Pract 2015; 17: 1-20.
20. Swartzentruber GS, Yanta JH, Pizon AF. Methemoglobinemia as a complication of topical dapsone. N Engl J Med 2015; 372: 491-492.