Dr. Pizon currently serves as the Chief of the Division of Medical Toxicology and as Director of the Medical Toxicology Fellowship. His current research interests include the novel pharmaceutical management of withdrawal syndromes, the evaluation of cost effective care provided by medical toxicologists, and biomarkers of hepatic injury after acetaminophen toxicity. However, his real passion lies in the education of fellows, residents, and medical students.
Education & Training
- 2006 Medical Toxicology Fellowship, Phoenix Children's Hospital/Banner University Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- 2004 Emergency Medicine Residency, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2001 Doctor of Medicine, University of Toledo School of Medicine, Toledo, OH
- 1997 Bachelor of Science, Westminster College, New Wilmington, PA
1. Farrugia LA, Rhyee SH, Campleman SL, Judge B, Kao L, Pizon A, Porter L, Riederer AM, Wiegand T, Calello D, Wax PM, Brent J, Toxicology Investigators Consortium Case Registry Investigators. The toxicology investigators consortium case registry: The 2017 annual report. J Med Toxicol 2018; 14: 182-211. doi: 10.1007/s13181-018-0679-z.
2. Pizon AF, Lynch MJ, Benedict NJ, Yanta JH, Frisch A, Menke NB, Swartzentruber GS, King AM, Abesamis MG, Kane-Gill SL. Adjunct ketamine use in the management of severe ethanol withdrawal. Crit Care Med 2018; 46: e768-e771. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000003204.
3. Rose JJ, Nouraie M, Gauthier MC, Pizon AF, Saul MI, Donahoe MP, Gladwin MT. Clinical outcomes and mortality impact of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in patients with carbon monoxide poisoning. Crit Care Med 2018; 46: e649-e655. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000003135.
4. Farkas AN, Scoccimarro A, Pizon AF. Methemoglobinemia due to antifreeze ingestion. N Engl J Med 2017; 377: 1993-1994.
5. Levine M, Beuhler MC, Pizon A, Cantrel FL, Spyres MB, LoVecchio F, Skolnik AB, Brooks DE. Assessing bleeding risk in patients with intentional overdoses of novel antiplatelet and anticoagulant medications. Ann Emerg Med 2017; Oct 9. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.08.046.
6. Levine M, Stellpflug S, Pizon AF, Traub S, Vohra R, Wiegand T, Traub N, Tashman D, Desai S, Chang J, Nathwani D, Thomas S. Estimating the impact of adopting the revised United Kingdom acetaminophen treatment nomogram in the U.S. population. Clin Tox. 2017; 55: 569-572.
7. Thomassan ED, Scharman E, Fechter-Leggett E, Bixler D, Ibrahim S, Duncan MA, Hsu J, Scott M, Wilson S, Haddy L, Pizon A, Burrer S, Wolkin A, Lewis L. Acute health effects after the Elk River chemical Spill, West Virginia, January 2014. Public Health Rep. 2017.
8. Nguyen MB, Pizon AF, Branas CC, Fabio A. Regional variation in pediatric medication exposure: Spatial analysis of poison center utilization in Western Pennsylvania. Clin Toxicol 2016: 54: 47-52.
9. Wong A, Benedict NJ, Lohr BR, Pizon AF, Kane-Gill SL. Management of benzodiazepine-resistant alcohol withdrawal across a healthcare system: Benzodiazepine dose-escalation with and without propofol. Drug Alcohol Depend 2015; 154: 47-52.
10. Swartzentruber GS, Yanta JH, Pizon AF. Methemoglobinemia as a complication of topical dapsone. N Engl J Med 2015; 372: 491-492.